Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Saturday, August 27, 2005

I Ain't No Poet But...

Song Playing: "Sweet Lies"-Usher
I do write from time to time. It's my therapy when I can't vocalize my thoughts. So I figured I'd put something on here that I wrote a while ago.

Why I Wear My Hat Low

A lot of times people have come up to me and asked me, “Why you wear your hat like that?” And for a while I didn’t have an answer until now.

To some people it’s a way to show support for their local or favorite sports team.
For others it symbolizes what gang they’d die for.
And for a small percentage of people it depicts their favorite beer or favorite NASCAR driver.

But for me, my hat is my armor.

I take the brim and flatten it so it meets with the horizon that separates me from my ultimate prize and my eventual punishment.

I pull the fitted down over my brow to keep my honesty from leaking out of my head.

I couldn’t be truthful all the time.
Imagine that!!??
Me telling my ex I still love her;
Or telling my little brother I look up to him for his work ethic and not because of our height difference;
Confessing to my father that he really is my hero cause he worked nights but would go to work late cause I had a basketball game at 7 even though the line started 6:30;
Letting my mom know she’s my inspiration because she went from a 1-room to putting her third degree on the wall in her corner office.

Are you serious?
I couldn’t that.
I’d crush their opinion of me and honestly I couldn’t live with that.

So I’ll go in my closet, pull out my seven and five eights size Blue Jays fitted.
Gently pull it over my shape up and let it firmly rest on my brow,
And keep in my thoughts.

That way my friends will only come to me for comic relief and not guidance.
So my parents will still think I’m on the cusp of greatness instead of wallowing in it.

But like I said this is armor.

And that’s why I wear my hat low.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss McLaughlin said...

I didnt know you were a poet. I guess you learn new things everyday...

6:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home