Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm Done

In the words of the great poet Popeye..."That's all I can stand, cause I can't stand no more." I'm burned out from this Virginia Tech stuff. Understand where I'm coming from then comment. In the past week, I've seen quite possibly every angle this story has. I've seen vigil after vigil from Stanford University to Christopher Newport University. I've seen Nikki Giovanni give a great speech/poem and I've seen countless ministers give countless sermons. I wonder if I'm in the minority or majority when I say I'm done. I don't want to see anymore of Cho Seung Hui (and yes I can pronounce his name, I've heard it enough times), I don't want to see anymore cell phone video captured by a student (that I might add is now the property of CNN), I don't want to see anymore still shots of the students and faculty who were killed. Understand that I'm in a profession where we suck a story dry, pump life into it and then suck it dry again. Sometimes it's necessary, other times it isn't. In all honesty, I really do feel for any and everyone affected by this, but from my seat on the bench it's time to stop. I miss running normal stories. You know stuff like people falling in manholes in St. Louis (true story) and sea lions getting shot (true story). So yeah, that's my take on the recent events of the past week, hate it or love it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jameil said...

you know what? i know exactly what you mean. and i'm sure for you its even worse b/c you're actually in VA and one of the vics is from hampton. i called my mom on monday. she said what's wrong? i said what do you mean? she said you sound bewildered.

oh that's cuz i am. 9 hours of anything is a lot. and the next day i came back for 9 more. i'm exhausted. i know how to pronounce it too and spell it and more details about him than i'd care to know about any dead stranger.

1:20 PM

 
Blogger La said...

I'm not even in news and I'm over it. Not because the victims deserve to be forgotten about but for a totally different reason; I can't imagine being one of those children's mothers and turning on the tv and every channel is about my child that died. Some things just need to be let go so people can grieve.

And is anyone other than me worried that with the media touting it as the "worst school massacre in American history" that some sicko will try to top it?

9:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home