Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Respect My Fresh

A couple of days ago Pimpin Ken (name changed in order to protect identity) and I were conversing about staying fresh. Not like "I have body funk and I need to do more than spritz on Axe body spray" fresh. We were discussing clothes. I know this may not sound like the average conversation two heterosexual men have with each other, but hey a nigga likes be well dressed. Don't worry, to balance it out we talked about sports and bit...I mean women later (gotta try and eliminate that word from the vocabulary, unless it's applicable). So Pimpin and I came to a conclusion...our work fresh is impeccable. I mean I'm the shirt and tie king. I got sweaters...I even match my watch with my belt and shoes. I got witnesses who've seen the kid throw it on. It's so elegant. But when it comes to casual fresh...I must admit I'm slacking. I have been guilty to rock (on occasion, but less in recent times since I really started reading my GQ) that work shirt (you know the one I really like) with the "good jeans" (the slim boys that I can wear in the club...not the ones I wear on casual Friday just to scare Mister Charlie) and some "dress shoes" (the ones I used to wear to work before they started developing the MEAN Gumby lean). But on those days I wanna just chill and still be elegant I find my wardrobe lacking. I got some nice jeans...but I need a few more to really feel comfortable. I got some shirts...but the majority are for work with a few that qualify for after-hours lounging. I don't lack shoes or sneakers, and my watch game is on point (my mom bought me a case to house my ever expanding collection...thanks mom...gotta shout her out cause she reads). I just feel like I'm on the cusp of casual fresh, but something is lacking. I realize to most this sounds EXTREMELY metro-sexual and even borderline gay. But let me reassure you neither of those is the case. I got witnesses that can verify I'm about the salmon (sorry Jam...I just had to sneak it in...lol). I'm just a dude who like to look nice, preferably all the time. I read a quote from Kanye that really stuck with me. Forgive me if I butcher it...but I was something to the effect of this: "I always get dressed like I'm going somewhere." I'm trying to reach that level. Maybe I'm reaching too high with this fashion shit. I mean I don’t want to be the guy schleping into work at 10 at night and working the overnight in some Gucci loafers, pressed shirt and some exclusive ass jeans (they better be glad I give them the courtesy of wearing clean underwear every night...sometimes), but during the week I want to be the best dressed dude in the building. I'm a competitive person...it's in my nature to want to crush someone. So I turn to you all out there. Help my reach the apex of my fresh.

P.S. Not to sound conceited...but the kids vocabulary game is real MEAN right now! WWWWWHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Veronica Marché said...

Do what I do when I'm at work... Internet window shopping.

Clearly, you're using that company high-speed anyway. Might as well make that unproductivity somewhat productive.

8:47 AM

 
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

Wow... modest much? LOL
Ah well- it adds to your charm. GQ helps with fashion trends and the occasional good article, but the looks featured in there are frequently WAY out of the average person's price range. Stroll on over to MacArthur one day after work and check out the men's department at Nordstrom. Even if it may not be completely your personal style, it'll give you some ideas on how to modify it or your daily look. Brooks Brothers has some really nice stuff too- they've come a long way from the super conservative stuff they used to sell. Still keeping the manicures fresh? :)

9:48 AM

 
Blogger T Dot said...

You might also check some back issues of Esquire (a mag which I love, thanks to the man-friend). They did a series last year where they did the essential wardrobe any man should have. They did it on like, $10,000 or something, but it had everything. And then, later, they did a version on like, $5,000 to make it more accessible. Regardless, it was a great lesson in things to splurge on and how much of your closet money should go to which pieces of clothing (a good top coat and shoes vs. ties or whatever). And they recently did an article on how to do casual right. When I go to his house again, I'll see if I can find that issue and let you know. Or just browse the internet archives. But yeah, esky needs to be in your magazine rotation.

4:07 PM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I respect the swagger. I wish I cared enough about how I dressed, LOL

5:21 PM

 
Blogger La said...

not this exercise in ego, lol

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Jarrod said...

Duck...Productivity at work is overrated.

X...Will do. And about those manicures...once the money started getting tight I strayed away from them.

Buford...Esquire? That always seemed to woman-ish to me...ah well.

Chris...Please believe there are days I throw on the sweatpants...hoodie and the Timbs with the mean lean...just not between the hours of seven am to seven pm. That's the overnight outfit.

La...You love it or else you wouldn't come here. It's like crack to you...somewhat fashionale crack...but crack nonetheless.

5:20 AM

 
Blogger T Dot said...

It's actually pretty good. And funny (sometimes). And well written (A.J. Jacobs is a beast).

And I found the Internet versions. At least check them out before you dismiss it as too girly. (Though, I'll admit, something has to be said for it since I like it and I am a woman) Here you are, sir:

The (New) Laws of Casual
http://www.esquire.com/style/casual-style-0308

The $5,000 Wardrobe
http://www.esquire.com/style/5000-wardrobe/5000wardrobe

5:49 PM

 
Blogger T Dot said...

Here's the rest of the link, my bad.

www.esquire.com/style/
5000-wardrobe/5000wardrobe

10:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home