Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Greatness

My fear of being great stems from my childhood. I was one of those kids. You know the one who always knew the answer. But I didn't flaunt it because I wanted to be liked. Deep down inside I think I'm still that kid. Whenever a teacher would ask a question, I and the teacher would look around the room waiting for someone to answer. Funny thing is, I think they were waiting for me to raise my hand with the answer. So the chess match began. Pawns were shifted across the board aimlessly in the form of kids raising their hands in fear and doubt. The queen or king of a teacher would come down on high and tell them no. After watching pawn after pawn fall, the teacher would look at me begging me to end the slaughter. So I, the awkwardly moving yet powerful knight, moved and answered the question. Order was restored and recess was next. So imagine all that manifesting over a few years. What you get is a very smart person, who's afraid to be smart. Because you're always being looked at as the savior. Savior is a bit of a reach, because I wasn't born in Bethlehem. But you smell what I'm cooking.

2 Comments:

Blogger T Dot said...

I smell what you're cooking - I think most people who are smart share that experience. I know I did. But what you didn't address is how you got over it (or didn't) and how it has affected your life today. Have you come to grips with your intelligence yet? How has your life been impacted because of your (seeming) inability to seek, live in, and feel you deserve greatness? Do you still see your intelligence as a handicap rather than an asset?

Just trying to prompt you to flesh this out a little more, homie.

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

i was going to say what t said.

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home