Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Interview

First off let me start by saying La...I thought you had my back. I'm the next in a long line of people who have agreed to be interviewed by other bloggers. If at the end of this interview you would like to participate, feel free.

1. Why do you think that you developed the talent for talking and not saying much? What are you hiding?

We just jump right into it huh? Well, I asked for it didn't I? I think this "talent" has developed because I hate conflict of any form. If you've got someone rattling off at the mouth talking in circles, you're too confused to get mad because you're trying to figure out what the hell I just said. Also I think it's because I'm brutally honest. Almost to a fault. If you want your ego stroked or you're looking for a compliment, don't ask me for my honest opinion. I'll tell you when you start developing cankles, why I don't like your mother and why I hate when your jaw clicks whenever you chew. So to sum it all up, it's a defense mechanism. I hate having all eyes on me...sometimes. I like picking and choosing when that's possible. As far as what I'm hiding, I would say my true feelings about stuff. I'm VERY reluctant to talk about the stuff I really care about. I can tell you a story about the time I learned the Pythagorean theory in middle school easier than why me and (insert name here) aren't together. It hurts too much.

2. Who would top your Maxim Hot 100?
Wow, that's a jump! Um, about a year ago it would've been a tie between Halle Berry and Janet Jackson. But wack movies (Catwoman) and subpar albums (20 Y.O. and Damita Jo) have dropped them out of the top spot. These days I gotta go with my girl Gabrielle Union. Sure she may play the same character in every movie she's in, but if you can be that fine and be from Omaha, Nebraska you're ok with me. If you're an attractive woman and from a state where the number of ears of corn is more than the Black population, you're ok with me.

3. What made you start writing and why the hell haven't you finished that damn story?
LOL...you seem a little peeved about that one. With writing in general, it's just something I've always dabbled in. I didn't really start getting into it until my senior year of high school. That's when I wrote something I felt was of substance. It was about this stripper who had a regular customer. I might post it one day. As far as "the story", it all started when I was listening to that "Trapped In The Closet" series. I said to myself, "Self, you can do that,". So, I did. It was never my intention for it to go past two or three segments. If you look back, the first part can really stand on its own as a one shot deal. But once I started writing, I couldn't stop. I wanted to see how far I could take it, how far down the rabbit hole I would go. There are times I look back and I'm amazed at what I've done. I never thought it would gain this cult following. You know it's crazy when your friends who don't have blogs call you about the characters. I got friends from Maryland to South Carolina pissed I haven't finished. So why haven't I finished? I haven't had the time to write. Back when I was first starting, I was still part time at the station. I had time to devote to it. Now, I'm producing three different shows five days a week. In a perfect world, I'd love to just stop for a few months and really dedicate time to make the story into something worthwhile. But we know the world ain't perfect. So I'll continue to do a little bit everyday, but I can't promise anything relevant anytime soon. Now if you want broken paragraphs full of possible storylines I can fax those out ASAP.

4. What's the biggest difference you see hanging out with your black friends and white friends?
White people don't need a reason to throw a party and get drunk. Think about the times you and your Black friends have been drunk and partying. Wasn't there some kind of function going on? Wedding...birthday party...graduation party...funeral...baby shower. If it involves either gift giving or tears or both, Black people are there and we drinking. Also, it costs too much for us to get drunk. We stay drinking liquor. And not the cheap vodka in the plastic bottle on the bottom shelf. We gotta have Grey Goose. White people will buy three 24 cases of Natural Ice and get right! Besides, Black people can't get drunk and be still.

"I'm sayin, where we goin with this?"

White people get drunk, play Halo and chill. Gotta love Weekend With Whitey.

5. How many times have you been in love? And why aren't you with her/them?
If the first question was the punch in the mouth, this one is the kick in the gut. Maybe I shoulda went with Jameil on this one. To be honest, I don't know. Seriously. I don't know what love is. I wasn't raised in an environment where the feeling of love was verbalized. I'm not saying my parents were/are bad. They're great. I wouldn't have accomplished 1/3 of anything in my life without them. But we just didn't say "I love you". I can tell you I've been in deep like before. That's happened twice. Once in high school and the second about a year and a half ago. I'm not with either of them because I pushed them away. I had an epiphany last night during a conversation with a...friend. In each situation I had the chance to make it work, but I let my pride take over. I had that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. Truthfully, I still do. That's why I don't call my college friends, high school friends or family often. It's not personal, I just get tunnel vision. If I had the chance to go back in time, I would definitely tell both women how I felt about them. Would it change where I'm at in life now? With the second woman yeah. But Doc Brown and the Delorean are only in the movies.

WHEW!!!
That was tough. Once again I want to say La, you sold me out. If I see you in the streets, it's on. LOL! So if anyone wants to be interviewed holla at me or if you want to interview me, just send the questions.

4 Comments:

Blogger GreatWhyte said...

I may, no I WILL regret this later, but Jarrod will you interview me, please?
Gabrielle Union is beautiful, you're right. Jarrod, I love when you're honest- really honest. It's WAY more helpful :)

10:03 PM

 
Blogger La said...

Don't be hatin' on the girl's interviewing skills my little snickerdoodle. These were damn good questions. I'm damn proud of you. I thought you were gonna BS me. You might be on your way somewhere young man...

If it makes you feel better, you can interview me. I even promise to be honest too ;-)

10:07 PM

 
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

I think you said we could interview you too... but my Sidekick moves too slow to go back and check, so... I'ma take the chance.
1. The best sex you've ever had. Tell us all about it and what would be the soundtrack to the experience?
2. Describe your most perfect day (even if it hasn't happened yet).
3. What is the hardest thing you've ever had to do?
4. What is the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you?
5. What kind of father do you want to be?

4:31 AM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET!!! hmph. good for you mr. honesty.

lmao@ broken paragraphs full of possible storylines. oh yes jarrod. PLEASE send those out poste haste! nut.

my college friends didn't need a reason BUT they did want to do something and i was right along w/em!! and it is VERY expensive w/HU folk. ash and i were talking the other day about NO WELL DRINKS!! so funny. sometimes you just need a good chill white folk party. that's what i'm talkin about.

6:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home