Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Sunday, October 07, 2007

So What Do You Like To Do?

That was the question I was asked at work yesterday. And for about 15 seconds, I had this blank stare on my face.
I was thinking.
Hard.
Finally a light bulb came on.

"Uh...I play PlayStation?"

Silence.
By this time two other people joined the conversation. Great, now I had an audience. Another light bulb popped up and allowed me to try and save myself.

"But that's not all I do. I read a lot and I write on the side too."

Approving nods proved to me that I had won back the respect of the white man and his woman. We all know how important that is. But that exchange got me to thinking. I know, I know that's a dangerous thing. What do I really do? I wake up, wash my ass, go to work, come home and kick it. And if the PlayStation happens to call out to me, I indulge myself.

***SIDE BAR***
You ever hear the Richard Pryor bit about him and the crack pipe? Long story short the crack pipe would talk to Richard. "Come on Rich, it's gonna be you and me on this couch all day long."
***SIDE BAR***

But other than that, I really don't do much in this area. I think part of it revolves around the idea that I wouldn't be here long. I figured I'd do my four years at Hampton, get a good ass job and roll. Yeah about that...I'm still in the area, with an ok job and no plans to leave until February 2009. So should I plant some seeds in the area? And for the record that doesn't mean kids. I feel like I need to do something. Ideas?

11 Comments:

Blogger the joy said...

i hear you man. i hate when people say, "so whats new?" nothing...

btw, HI!!!

11:01 PM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

not PlayStation. yawn. church? i'm finally meeting people b/c of mine. reading & writing is always hot.

9:28 AM

 
Blogger La said...

"Um... I play... PlayStation."


Cracked me the fuck up, lol. You're such a guy. LOL

10:08 AM

 
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

I concur with Jameil **who said that?** Church is always good. Travel. Museums. Theatre. Movies. Volunteer to be a Big Brother. Tutor. Mentor. Pledge a fraternity. Take a week off go to New Orleans and rebuild something. All things I'd love t do.

11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

what frat you wanna pledge x? let's all go to the NO!! I'm so down.

1:29 PM

 
Blogger Southerner in Suomi said...

Playstation ain't so bad. And will straight wallop you in some Madden J-Rod.

Now, you ain't got nuffin' to do? I'm with Jam, get some church action going. Find a charity. I loves my Habitat for Humanity.

And write more!! We want more stories dammit!!!

8:25 PM

 
Blogger T Dot said...

Glad you're trying to get involved. I'd definitely say church. Get your Jesus on. Check out being a mentor for underprivileged kids. Also, some community centers in Hampton host bball teams -- look into being a coach. Check the Urban League. They should have a Young Professionals Group there. I'm in one (I believe Jameil is in one in the burgh as well). That's a good way to meet people. Also, think about what you want to do or your shortcomings -- find ways to prepare yourself for your next step or fill in those deficiencies. So maybe take a class (it could be in something fun like knitting if you so desire) or learn a new skill. Read your local paper and go to some events and festivals. Get involved in your community boo. It'll make these two years go by much quicker. :-)

12:32 PM

 
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

Jameil, you...... never mind.

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Jarrod said...

Joy...Exactly! And then you realize how lame and predictable your life is. HI!!

Jameil...Did you just call me hot?

La...That's all I know. If my PlayStation had a glory hole and a vending machine, I'd never leave home.

X...All good suggestions. That's the wisdom that comes with the big 3-0.

Jameil...wtf?

V...You beat me in Madden? Nah champ. I'll beat that ass then beat that ass. Hear you go with the writing requests...

Buford...Knitting? Word? I know I'm waiting on February '09 but damn. I ain't trying to make a freedom quilt...lol. That was kinda funny.

X...I agree

4:42 AM

 
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

The big 3-0, huh? Okay.

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

wow... did i call you hot. i really did laugh ignorantly out loud to that one. i think we should all go to new orleans. and knitting is SUCH a good look for you. and you do NOT agree w/x. :P

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home