Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Saturday, August 11, 2007

ATL Recap...Day 3

Saturday

Basically I chilled in the hotel all day. We had a banquet to go to later on that day. We normally have one every year, but this year it was different. Instead of getting all suited and booted the dress code was relaxed. My brother and I took full advantage of said code and threw on some polo shirts, jeans and some sneakers fresh out the box (Air Force One's for me). Also the banquet is normally held in that big ass room every hotel has. You know the one...don't front. Well this year it was held at Dave & Buster's (stop the snickering cause at the end of the day it's still family), hence the jeans. But you know how old Black people love to dress up and by fly. So it was only right my grandfather had on his suit with the diamond tie pin in his tie. A special twist on the night's events was to honor the family members who basically started the fam. My great-grandparents (who I never met) had seven children who made it to adulthood. As the night went on people representing each child went up and said something memorable. Of course, my brother and I had been delegated to represent my grandfather. The story I told talked about how when we used to live in Jersey and my grandfather came to preach at our church. And for me, he was always just my grandfather you know, but when he started preaching it was like he became something else. Almost mythical and everyone in the congregation recognized that. After the sermon everyone mentioned how well he had preached. And I was like , "of course, he's my grandfather." So we finished the banquet and I hit the bar. Me and a few family members had some drinks, some laughs and that was it.

Sunday
I finished packing my clothes, said my goodbye's to the fam went to the cavernous airport in Atlanta and flew back to VA.
All in all, it was good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home