Sometimes a brotha just wants to get his thoughts out...

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I Think My Boss Likes Me

So I came into the watch store yesterday to fill in for someone. I'm not wearing anything spectacular or looking any other kind of way. I'm just looking like a guy heading into his part-time job...tired and waiting to get off the clock. I stroll in and my boss (who is a woman) asks me right off the bat, "Hey Jarrod, do you have a girlfriend?". Huh? What? Can a nigga get a hello first? Can I clock in before we reveal my relationship status? I chuckle nervously, slightly beaming with pride.

"Nah, I'm as single as they come."

"Oh really? Wow. Cause you know I asked (insert female co-worker's name here), and she said she wasn't sure."

Pause. You mean to tell me there was a conversation about my relationship status already floating around the job. Wow. Un-pause.

"Nah, I ain't got no one. Why you asking? You got someone in mind for me?"

"Not really, it's just hard to believe that you're single. I mean, you're a handsome guy, nice personality, you work out."
At this point in time, she's started rubbing my upper right arm. Thank GOD for that Hour Of Power in the gym.

"Cause you I be in here working sometimes and I'll look and be like damn that man is cute. And then I'll look closer and say oh, that's Jarrod."

That's the ebb and flow of my life folks, co-workers psuedo hit on me while I struggle to find a date up to my standards. That story is just one of the things that involved the mall. Here's story two. Same day, I'm posted in the store watching the clock watch me when this chick walks by. Cute, brown-skinned, thick you know just how they should be. I heard the pickup line echo in my head. I felt the words bubble up from my gut, towards my throat and sit patiently on my tounge. And I kept watching the woman as she walked towards, in front of and away from me. Now here is the dilemma, I gotta figure out how to talk to these women without coming across as "That Guy In The Mall". Ladies you know and avoid him constantly. You're out at your local mall going to the Semi-Annual Sale at Victoria's Secret (you gotta know where to hunt your prey, kinda like a lion waiting at a watering hole for a herd of antelope), and you walk past "That Guy In The Mall". He's ambitious, cocky, conceited and in between you and a pair of draws. You don't want to be bothered by him, so you have your "hell no" face on complete with the "nigga be gone" quick step. Now I don't want to be "That Guy In The Mall", I just want to get to know you. This is where you, the faithful reader, helps a brother out. Oh and one more thing, the kid is going to the A next week for a family reunion. I need to know what I'm getting myself into. All of you who have been or are from there give me some info.

5 Comments:

Blogger Paula D. said...

I am laughing at your boss. 1st off....keep it strictly professional. I am in HR & was shaking my head at her conversation & touching your arm. She could cause you some trouble...

As for being the guy in the mall, just speak & don't force anything. If she is interested she will make conversation.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger T Dot said...

"Cause you I be in here working sometimes and I'll look and be like damn that man is cute. And then I'll look closer and say oh, that's Jarrod."

Hilarious.

I agree with Paula D. What makes the "guy In the mall" creepy is that you can tell he's trying to hit on you and it makes you feel icky. So just smile and say hello. She'll be back. I mean, the mall has more than just drawes. And each time you see her, say hello, or compliment her or make a comment about something (A funny joke, not a creepy joke) and she'll be nice to you. And then ya'll will talk. and then go on a date. and then have babies. The end.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Jameil said...

GO TO THE COMPOUND!! man oh man "she's started rubbing my upper right arm" had me like errrrrrrr??? wow... folk gettin bold now.

i can't help you not be that mall guy. i give everyone the hell no face and be gone quick step. sorry homie.

but what was that line?

9:22 AM

 
Blogger cmill52k said...

Jarrod make sure you hit me up when you get here. One of my friends will be in town that same weekend and it's my sister's b-day. I'm sure we'll be getting into some type of trouble ;-).

Oh and your boss is gross...that chick is trying to get a quick fix...lol...

12:50 PM

 
Blogger Southerner in Suomi said...

I agree the boss is gross and it's hard NOT to be the guy in the mall, when you are kinda the guy in mall.

As for the family reunion. Drink lots of water, cause there will be lots of alcohol and barbeque.

My country ass has been to and helped plan many a family reunion. The (insert bulk grocery store name) is mainly to get lots of fifths and 24 pks of domestic beer.

And you're going to the A, so you can hit the skreets afterwards. Be sure to have to wardrobe on shine too and eat, eat, EAT!!! Lol.

7:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home